My first batch of Whoopie pies were straight from a Betty Crocker box. This time I thought I would make the whoopie pies from scratch. I found a recipe on taste.com.au (see below ingredients and method).
The following ingredients are required:
- 125g butter, at room temperature
- 80g (1/2 cup) brown sugar, lightly packed
- 100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 375g (2 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 330ml (1 1/3 cups) buttermilk
I didn't have any buttermilk so I used milk with some melted butter in it. I wanted my whoopie pies to be pink so I added red food colouring and strawberry essence. The mixture was a nice shade of pink.
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Use an electric beater to beat the butter, sugar and vanilla in a bowl until pale and creamy. Beat in the egg.
- Stir in the bicarbonate of soda to combine. Use a metal spoon to fold in flour and buttermilk, in alternating batches, until just smooth. The mixture should be a little stiff.
- Use a 3cm-diameter ice-cream scoop to place rounds of the mixture onto prepared trays, leaving 5cm for spreading. Use your finger to smooth mixture around the edges.
- Bake, swapping the trays halfway through cooking, for 10 minutes or until firm. Cool slightly. Place on a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat, in 2 more batches, with remaining mixture.
The final verdict - nice, probably didn't need 15 minutes in oven, marshmallow creme isn't too sickly, chocolate is a better option!