Hoping to get Gabby eating fish again and more vegetables, last week I made a batch of salmon patties. Served with home made potato chips, mushy peas and a dill mayonnaise it was an enjoyable meal not just for Gabby but for Mr FPL and myself.
I used fresh salmon but if you prefer you can use a tinned variety.
1 cup precooked mashed potato (potatoes, butter and milk)
500g fresh or tinned salmon
4 tbsp plain flour
125g corn kernels
2 sprigs chopped parsley
1 cup plain flour
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
1. If not using precooked mashed potatoes, boil a few potatoes and mash with a little butter and milk to make at least one cup of mashed potato. Allow to cool.
2. If using fresh salmon steam the salmon till it has been cooked through, cool and flake. Discard the skin and any bones.
3. Add to a large bowl the mashed potato, salmon, egg, flour, corn, parsley, salt and pepper and mix till all combined.
4. Using a heaped tablespoon of mixture, shape the mixture into a patty and place it on a tray lined with baking paper. Repeat till there is no mixture left.
5. Using three bowls add the cup of plain flour to one, two beaten eggs to the second and the cup of panko breadcrumbs to the third.
6. One at a time dip each patty in the flour bowl, followed by the egg wash and lastly the breadcrumbs. Return the patties to the lined tray.
7. Add enough sunflower oil to a pan to shallow fry the patties. Once the pan has been preheated, cook the patties in small batches till golden brown on either side. Try not to overcrowd your pan.
8. Place the cooked patties on a plate lined with paper towel to soak up any excess oil.
9. Repeat steps 7 and 8 till all patties have been cooked.
10. Serve warm.
4 tbsp mayonnaise (I used egg mayonnaise)
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp dried dill
1 tsp capers
1 small clove of crushed garlic
1. Add all of the above ingredients to a bowl and beat till combined, add to a decorative bowl and serve with the patties.